Student voice is at the heart of what we do – so what better way to celebrate students than turn the mic over to them?
AchieveMpls is excited to announce a special opportunity for MPS high school students to emcee our Evening of Excellence fundraiser on October 10 at the University of Minnesota. This is a great way for students to gain greater confidence in public speaking, experience what it’s like to put on a public event and meet some great community leaders - all while supporting programs they love, like Career & College Centers, Step Up and Graduation Coaches!
This annual event features inspiring stories from our students, alums and volunteers and celebrates the work we do together to ensure every student graduates with an exciting plan for the future. Every dollar we raise helps us close our city’s opportunity gaps and ensure that even more students can access our personalized career and college planning support, on-the-job experience and professional connections.
Interested students can complete our online application, which is due on June 15. The finalists will receive professional coaching, two guest tickets to the gala and a Visa gift card.
Please share this information with the Minneapolis high school students in your life! To learn more, contact Jennifer Valley at 612-455-1559.
- Comfortable speaking in front of large groups (prior experience is helpful)
- Will be in grade 10, 11 or 12 during the 2019-20 school year
- Familiar with at least one AchieveMpls program (Career & College Centers, Step Up, Graduation Coaches, etc.)
- Sense of humor
June 15, 2019
- Based on applications, a select number of students will be invited to audition in the summer.
- The audition will be held in Minneapolis in front of a team of AchieveMpls staff.
At the audition, prospective emcees will be asked to deliver a practice script and will be judged based on their confidence, speaking skills and stage presence. The script will be provided in advance.
August & September
- A team of four emcees will be selected and notified.
- Training and rehearsal
October 10, 2019
- The Evening of Excellence!