Become an Intern
Our 2016 on-line application will be available here December 7 - February 5.
STEP-UP is the City of Minneapolis jobs program for Minneapolis youth between ages 14-21. Since 2004, STEP-UP has connected over 20,000 young people with job training and great internships at top Twin Cities companies, nonprofits and government agencies.
STEP-UP can change your life by providing work-readiness training, great on-the-job experience, and connections with adult professionals who can support you in achieving your career and college goals. It can help you gain greater confidence and learn how to succeed in a professional environment. The skills you learn through STEP-UP can last a lifetime.
STEP-UP will help you
- Explore a career that interests you. We work with over 150 companies in a wide range of industries and can match you with a job based on your skills and career interests.
- Earn up to $2,000 over the summer. STEP-UP interns earn $8 to over $10 an hour depending on the company.
- Gain great on-the-job experience and professional skills for your future. You can build important workplace skills in customer service, office communication, project management, computer technology and more that will strengthen your resume and set you apart from other candidates for future college and job applications.
- Meet professionals who can help support your career and college goals. STEP-UP supervisors and co-workers provide support during your internship and can be great contacts for future job references and college recommendations.
Who can apply to STEP-UP?
You must be a Minneapolis resident between the ages of 14 and 21 (by June 1, 2016) and not yet enrolled in college. You must also meet certain income guidelines. You do not need any previous work experience.
How does the STEP-UP program work?
- Applicants complete a STEP-UP on-line application. Our 2016 on-line application will be available here December 7 - February 5.
- Interns participate in work-readiness training in March and April.
- Interns are matched with jobs based on their interests and skills and the needs of the employer.
- Interns are interviewed and hired by their employer.
- Summer interns work at their summer job from mid-June to mid-August and earn at least $7.25 per hour. STEP-UP Achieve internships are also available in the spring and fall.
- Some interns can also participate in additional career opportunities during the summer that are scheduled around their work hours.
What is work readiness training?
STEP-UP interns participate in work-readiness training in March and April. This training teaches the skills interns need to be successful in their internships and future job searches, including:
- Creating strong resumes
- Dressing properly for any job opportunity
- Communicating professionally with supervisors and co-workers
- Responsible use of technology
- The essentials of building a professional network
- Preparing for successful job interviews (each participant does a mock interview with a business professional)
- Much more!
After successfully completing training, interns receive a work-readiness credential certificate from the Minneapolis Regional Chamber of Commerce and signed by our STEP-UP Co-Chairs. Your credential will look impressive on your resume and give you something great to talk about in a job interview.
How do I apply?
Applicants complete a STEP-UP on-line application. Our 2016 on-line application will be available here December 7 - February 5. Check out our new infographic that walks you through the steps of getting a STEP-UP internship, from application to work! For more information, contact Janessa at 612.455.1561 or email@example.com .