Become an Intern
Our 2013 internship application deadline has now passed. Please check back next fall to apply to our 2014 program!
STEP-UP is the City of Minneapolis jobs program for Minneapolis youth between ages 14-21. Since 2004, STEP-UP has connected over 16,000 young people with job training and great internships at top Twin Cities companies, nonprofits and government agencies.
STEP-UP can change your life by providing work-readiness training, great on-the-job experience, and connections with adult professionals who can support you in achieving your career and college goals. It can help you gain greater confidence and learn how to succeed in a professional environment. The skills you learn through STEP-UP can last a lifetime.
STEP-UP will help you
- Explore a career that interests you. We work with over 150 companies in a wide range of industries and can match you with a job based on your skills and career interests.
- Earn up to $2,000 over the summer. STEP-UP interns earn at least $7.25 an hour and up to $10 an hour depending on the company.
- Gain great on-the-job experience and professional skills for your future. You can build important workplace skills in customer service, office communication, project management, computer technology and more that will strengthen your resume and set you apart from other candidates for future college and job applications.
- Meet professionals who can help support your career and college goals. STEP-UP supervisors and co-workers provide support during your internship and can be great contacts for future job references and college recommendations.
Who can apply to STEP-UP?
The application deadline for our 2013 program has passed. To apply for our 2014 STEP-UP program you must be a Minneapolis resident between the ages of 14 and 21 (by June 1, 2014) and not yet enrolled in college. You must also meet certain income guidelines. You do not need any previous work experience.
How does the STEP-UP program work?
- Applicants complete a STEP-UP on-line application. The application deadline for the 2013 program has now passed. The on-line application for the 2014 program will be available in fall 2014.
- Applicants who are selected for the program are notified in early March.
- Interns participate in work-readiness training in March and April.
- Interns are matched with jobs based on their interests and skills and the needs of the employer.
- Interns are interviewed and hired by their employer.
- Summer interns work at their summer job from mid-June to mid-August and earn at least $7.25 per hour. STEP-UP Achieve internships are also available in the spring and fall.
- Some interns can also participate in additional career opportunities during the summer that are scheduled around their work hours.
What is work readiness training?
STEP-UP interns participate in work-readiness training in March and April. This training teaches the skills that that interns need to be successful in their internships and future job searches, including:
- Creating strong resumes
- Dressing properly for any job opportunity
- Communicating professionally with supervisors and co-workers
- Responsible use of technology
- The essentials of building a professional network
- Preparing for successful job interviews (each participant does a mock interview with a business professional)
- Much more!
After successfully completing training, interns receive a work-readiness credential certificate from the Minneapolis Regional Chamber of Commerce and signed by Minneapolis Mayor Rybak. Your credential will look impressive on your resume and give you something great to talk about in a job interview.
How do I apply?
The STEP-UP application deadline for the 2013 program has now passed. Please check back next fall to apply to the 2014 program. For more information, contact our STEP-UP staff at 612.455.1530.