Share What You Know
You can help students learn about all of the great careers available in our community! Our career speakers events at MPS high schools are a great way to inspire and support students as they plan for life after graduation.
Whether you work in the trades, business, healthcare, the arts, STEM, retail or another sector, you have valuable experience and perspectives that can help students take the first step toward great careers or discover new fields.
You'll share your personal career journey and the skills and training required for your field. We encourage you to use props and real-world examples to bring your career to life.
All volunteers are welcome! We especially encourage volunteers from diverse communities as well as MPS alumni and community members with personal connections to our schools to join us. Learn more about Minneapolis Public schools and the students we serve.
How to participate in a career event
Most career events run between 90 minutes - 2 hours. You'll present to a classroom of students or staff a table at gym-based fair. Check out details on our upcoming career events.
Mark Your Calendar
You'll receive an email confirmation with the date, time, location and other details about your career event.
Arrive at the Event Early
Be sure to allow for time to find the school and your meeting location. You'll receive a short orientation, meet other volunteers and proceed to your assigned classroom or gym.
Share Your Journey with Students!
You'll present to students in a classroom or host a table in a gym-based fair where students will stop by to learn about your industry.
After the event you'll gather with our staff and other volunteers to share your feedback and suggestions.
For more information contact Mai Xiong at 612-455-1571.
Upcoming Career Events
- Thursday, March 8, 9:15 - 10:30 am - Roosevelt High School. Seeking volunteers from human services careers.
- Tuesday, March 13, 2 -4 pm - Longfellow High School. Seeking volunteers from all careers.
- Thursday, March 15, 9:30 am-12:15 pm - Heritage Academy. Seeking volunteers from all careers.
- Thursday, March 22, 9 - 10:45 am - Edison High School. Seeking volunteers from agriculture, food and natural resources careers.
- Thursday, April 12, 9:15 -10:30 am - Roosevelt High School. Seeking volunteers from health sciences careers.
- Tuesday, April 17, 7:50 - 9:15 am - Southwest High School. Seeking volunteers from all careers.
- Wednesday, April 18, 1 -3:30 pm - North Community High School. Seeking volunteers from all careers.
- Thursday, April 19, 9 - 10:45 am - Edison High School. Seeking volunteers from human services careers.
- Thursday, May 10, 9:15 -10:30 am - Roosevelt High School. Seeking volunteers from engineering, manufacturing and technology careers.
- Wednesday, May 23, 8 am - 3:20 pm - South High School. Seeking volunteers from all careers.
“These events are a great opportunity for students to learn about all the careers available to them. Most students have an understanding of what being a doctor or a lawyer means. But they may not know what an account executive, a machinist, a project manager or a cosmetologist does, or the opportunities for growth and financial prosperity that these careers can provide.”