Community engagement is at the heart of everything we do at AchieveMpls.
Research shows that family and community engagement leads to increased student achievement, improved social skills and a greater likelihood of graduation. We believe young people can reach their greatest potential in school, work and life if they have strong schools and a generous community to support them.
AchieveMpls provides a bridge between Minneapolis Public Schools and the wider community, creating opportunities for individuals and groups to make a difference for youth as volunteers, community partners, employers, funders, advisers and advocates.
We engage our community for student success by
- Building partnerships with businesses, the nonprofit sector, faith communities, higher education and career readiness organizations
- Training volunteers to work effectively with students and become allies with young people
- Organizing MPS alumni to engage with current students and become spokespeople for education reform
- Educating community members about issues impacting public education and providing information and tools for advocacy
- Building the capacity of parents to advocate for their children
- Ensuring a student voice in the transformation of education
We also work hard to raise awareness about the link between strong public schools, economic prosperity, stable democratic institutions and community stability. We advocate for inclusion and expanding opportunity for all young people.